About The Awards
Gluten Free Canada’s Product of the Year Awards recognize the talented makers of gluten free food products who combine delicious flavours with safe ingredients. All approved entrants will be featured with a review of their submitted product via the myGlutenFreeCanada.ca/GlutenFreeExpo.ca blog.
Entry period for the 2018 Product of the Year Award deadline is August 31, 2018. Shortlisted finalists will be invited to have their products participate in the blind tasting which will then follow from September 26-30, 2018.
- Registration Deadline- August 31, 2018
- Blind Taste Test: September 26 – 30, 2018
- Finalists announced: October 1, 2018
- Award winner announced: November, 2018
Benefits to Gluten Free Canada’s Product of the Year Award Winner
Gluten Free Canada’s Product of the Year Award winner receives a prize package valued at $6,500 that consists of:
- Recognition as Gluten-Free Canada’s 2018 Product of the Year.
- 1-page feature article about the winning company and product within Gluten Free Canada’s 2018 Winter Issue
- Complimentary Booth at the 2019 Vancouver Gluten Free Expo
- Spotlighted Gluten Free Canada’s website home page, product guide, and social media outlets, as well as external press releases.
Product of the Year Award Winner Categories
One winner will be selected from each of the following 9 categories:
- Beverages – Alcoholic
- Beverages – non-alcoholic
- Baked Goods & Pastries
- Charcuterie Items (meats, meat alternatives, cheeses, or cheese alternatives).
- Health and Wellness
- Pantry Items (sauces, spreads, oils, spices, grains, or pastas)
- Prepared Foods (fresh or frozen)
- Snack Foods (bars, chips, popcorn, etc)
Application Administration Fee: $329 for the first product, and $149 for each additional product submission per brand. This fee goes to offset the cost of processing entries, the Blind Tasting, and the promotion of brands entered.
Application Fee covers administrative costs for:
- Gluten Free Canada staff writer to review and author a public review in the Gluten Free Expo e-Newsletter (over 14,000 readers) and social media channels (over 23,000 followers)
- Additional online exposure through a product feature post on GlutenFreeExpo.ca blog
- Facilitation of your products review and voting procedures by our reviewer and consumer panel, for a chance to be awarded a Gluten Free Canada 2018 ‘Product of the Year’ award.
- Multiple flavours of the same product can be submitted at no additional cost
Entrance and Selection Criteria
These awards are open to all Gluten Free food producing companies who meet all 4 of the following criteria:
- Be submitting a product which has been produced in a dedicated gluten free environment, or have strict testing protocols in place that tests each product run to ensure no cross contamination has occurred.
- Must guarantee that their products contain less than 20 parts per million
- Products must be available for purchase within Canada
- Agree to the award terms and conditions.
Gluten Free Canada’s Product of the Year Awards Winner is determined using scores from a combination of 1) Product Concept, 2) Product Reviewer short listing and 3) Consumer Blind Taste Test.